I thought I'd take this moment to share more of my heart with you. Last year God laid orphan care on my heart. There are millions of orphans in this world, last year there were 147 million, that number has increased and continues to increase everyday. Here in our comfortable American lives it's easy to ignore this because we live in a very wealthy country. Even when we think we are poor, we do not truly grasp what it means to live below poverty. It is time to stop being ignorant and do something! Below are some stats for you to ponder:
Every 15 SECONDS, another child becomes an AIDS orphan in Africa
Every DAY 5,760 more children become orphans
Every YEAR 2,102,400 more children become orphans (in Africa alone)
These are just a few of the statistics, the rest are very overwhelming, I'll save them for another blog. Clearly there is a huge problem in this world, you can choose to ignore it, or choose to do something about it.
We are currently adopting, but this is only the beginning. I plan to defend this cause for the rest of my life!!! I'm not quite sure how yet, but I will keep you posted. You may not be at a place in your life where you are able to adopt, and thats okay. There are so many other ways you can help! Here are some ideas: You can sponsor a child, there are some great ministries that can help you do this (Compassion, World Vision, Vision Trust). Donate to organizations that help with orphan care (check out the links on the right of this blog). Buy products that go directly to helping with orphan care (147 million orphans link). Help out a family who is adopting. This list goes on and on, get creative.
My final question that I will leave you to ponder: How are you going to make a difference in the life of an orphan?
we are standing with you! Thank you for this challenge!!!
ReplyDelete